Saturday, November 7, 2009

Muscat, Oman

The last weekend of October was dubbed Formula One Weekend by just about everybody in Abu Dhabi. I like to think of it as Halloween weekend. Or even, the weekend I can start the one-month-til-I-go-home-for-Christmas countdown. People from all over the world came to our little town to see the grand opening of Yas Island and all it had to offer - including a new Formula One race track and the Grand Prix on November 1. Pete and I had little to no interest in going to see the race, so we decided to head out of town for the weekend to Muscat, Oman. Including the time spent getting the proper slips of paper at the border, it's about a 6 hour trek from Abu Dhabs. It was absolutely wonderful to get out of town for a couple of days and just chill.

Mountains! As soon as you cross the border

The hotel we stayed at has its own little private cove on the beach. I was in heaven!

The view from my lounge chair :-)

The view of the cove from our balcony

Pete checking out one of the 2 brand new Ferraris parked in front of the hotel

The second night there we headed into the town of Muscat to go to the Mutrah Souk. There were loads of these little stalls selling frankincense. The smell was SO strong!

This guy was selling a variety of lentils, beans and kernel-y kinds of things.

The lights of a mosque we stumbled upon when we wandered out of the souk

3 comments:

  1. People will probably be mad that I forgot to mention the fact that there were other fun things going on besides just car racing, like Beyonce in concert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GGGEEEEEEEZZZZZ your beach looks a lot like my kind of heaven too!!! how wonderful :)

    love, your sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, those pictures are making me so envious (well, the beach picture anyway...although I wouldn't put it past myself to be jealous of the variety of lentils.) Yay for the coming-home-countdown!!

    ReplyDelete