Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan Grand Mosque

The Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan Mosque (or Grand Mosque, for short) is named after the late president of the UAE.  This guy seems to be the motivation for most of the massive construction projects around the country.  Unlike most of the obnoxiously large buildings though, the Grand Mosque is actually amazingly picturesque. It is definitely a sight worth seeing during any visit to the UAE. 

Can you tell it's me? 

Now you can!! 

There were just a few women on the tour. 

The tops of all the domes and minarets behind me are pure gold...
seriously, no messing around here. 

"First I wash each of my hands three times, then I was each of my arms three times, like this"

You guessed it, the BIGGEST chandelier in the world. . . 

Can't forget, the BIGGEST carpet in the world! 

The whole mosque has over 1,000 of these marble columns. All of the flowers are made of semi-precious stones. 

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing these amazing photos, beautiful blend of spiritualy and aesthetic beauty :)
    JL

    ReplyDelete